Sunday 21 August 2011

Can you lose something you didn't have in the first place?

'A lost cause'. Words I heard once. What is a 'lost cause' though? It is only a 'lost cause' when you give up. Surely until then, it is a 'cause in progress'. You make it a 'lost cause'. You make it worthless and useless. If I give up then what I worked for doesn't mean as much to me as when I started. Yet, isn't that what I was trying to avoid? Trying to stop them from forgetting me, and isn't that what I'm doing?

You told me to give up. Yet, if I give up, everything I have done is wasted. Everything I worked for is useless and it may take me back further than I was when I started. That makes it worse than it was when I started, so giving up isn't right thing to do.

You told me to cut my losses. What losses? I haven't lost anything yet. I still have everything that is in my head, it is still there. But if I cut my losses then I lost it. Shouldn't I carry on fighting now? Can you lose something you didn't have in the first place? Can you claim something when it belongs to someone else? Can you hold on to a wish of what something could be?

So answer me this, if I give up now, why is it only me who loses?

No comments:

Post a Comment